I love muffins. They go great with coffee (or tea) and are a perfectly portable snack. My Mom sent me this recipe, promising they were not only reasonably good for you, but yummy too! And as always, Mom was right! The fresh apple and added wheat bran makes a great tasting muffin that you won’t feel guilty about eating.
Bran and Apple Muffins
Summary: These muffins are low in fat and high in fibre. You could replace 1/2 cup of the flour with whole wheat.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (or 3/4 c. if you prefer your muffins a little less sweet)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sour your milk by adding 1 Tbsp. of either white vinegar or lemon juice to the 1 cup of milk and letting it stand for 5 minutes)
- 6 Tbsp. melted margarine or butter
- 3 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 1/2 cups natural wheat bran
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup peeled, shredded apple
- 3/4 cup raisins.
- Combine first 5 ingredients. Combine bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir into liquid ingredients. Mix well. Stir in apple and raisins. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake 400 degrees F. for 17 – 23 minutes, or until set.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 12
(Recipe via Mom)