I love Cabbage Rolls but I’m not too fond of actually making them. They are fiddly and time consuming. I’m more a dump everything in a dish and bake it kind of gal.
I saw this recipe in our local paper and thought it was just the thing. It has all the great flavours of cabbage rolls, without all the fuss.
Makes a quick and easy weeknight meal!
Cabbage Roll Casserole
Summary: This casserole has all the flavours of cabbage rolls, without any of the fuss. Delicious and quick meal.
- 1 Medium head cabbage, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 14-oz cans tomato sauce (or tomato soup)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Cook ground beef in large skillet over medium heat until cooked through.
- Grease a 9×13-in glass dish. (Don’t use a metal dish as it will react with the tomato and cabbage). Put all the cabbage on the bottom. Sprinkle the browned ground beef, onion, & green pepper. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top, then the uncooked rice.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomato sauce or soup, water, juice and brown sugar.
- Pour into the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 1 hour 30 min | Total time: 1 hour 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 6