I must confess. I make really lousy pastry. I play with it too much. My mom always said the secret to perfect pastry is to roll it out in as few strokes as possible. (I think she can do it in 3 or 4). Not me. Nope. I’m a perfectionist. I’ll keep rolling that thing till I think it’s looks just so. And it does look just so. It just cooks up dry and tough.
Alas, I’ve come to accept this sad fact and have just learned to live with the frozen, pre-made pastry shells. This recipe for Deep Dish Apple Pie is perfect for the pastry-challenged though, as it makes it’s own “crust”. You don’t even have to shell out (no pun intended) for the frozen stuff! You’ve just gotta love that.
The crust is yummy and sweet and every bit as satisfying as real pie crust. In fact, I really enjoyed the change. The recipe as written is very cinnamon-y. If you love cinnamon, make it as is. I think I’d cut back on it just a tad the next time I make it – maybe 1 to 1-1/2 Tbsp. of cinnamon instead. It is sweet and a bit rich, so a little slice goes a long way. The addition of ice cream or just a bit of milk or cream poured over the top helps to balance out the sweetness. All in all, we all really enjoyed this as a special sweet treat and I would definitely make it again.
Apple Walnut Pie
Summary: This is a quick and easy apple dessert, that makes it’s own crust. If you’re not a cinnamon lover, you may want to consider reducing the cinnamon to 1 Tbsp.
- 6 or 7 medium sized Macintosh apples
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup salted butter (I wouldn’t substitute margarine for this recipe.)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Combine 2 Tbsp. sugar with 2 Tbsp. cinnamon and toss with apple slices.
- Layer apples in a deep dish 8 or 9″ glass pie plate.
- Melt butter. Stir in 1 cup of white sugar and egg (well beaten). Add flour and mix until smooth. Add in walnuts.
- Drop mixture by spoonfuls over the apples and then spread to cover the apples completely.
- Bake in 350° oven for 40 – 60 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Excellent warm or cold. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or cheddar cheese, as you like.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 45 min | Total time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 6