My mom would often make these beans. She called them “doctored beans”. It’s amazing how a few extra ingredients can so vastly improve a regular can of baked beans! Given how long it takes to make baked beans from scratch, I think this recipe provides all the comfort of baked beans with a lot less work and time!
Simple Baked Beans
Summary: Comforting baked beans don’t have to take all day. These beans start with canned beans, but the added ingredients and the time in the oven, make them a quick and easy alternative.
- 2 (16 oz.) cans baked beans with pork
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix baked beans with pork, molasses, onions, brown sugar and ketchup together and put in a greased casserole dish. Top with bacon, cover and bake for 3 hours or until thick.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 3 hours | Total time: 3 hours 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 4