It’s holiday season, so there are lots of opportunities to indulge in some really tasty appetizers. Last year I made these Goat Cheese and Pear Strudel Slices to take to a small party and they were very well received.
The nice thing about phyllo pastry appetizers is that they are easy to prepare but they make a very impressive presentation (they seem like they were a lot more work than they actually were!)
If you’re looking for something to make for an event over the holidays or to take to an event, you won’t go wrong with these!
Goat Cheese and Pear Strudel Slices
Summary: This was delicious and a great appetizer for holiday entertaining.
- 1 large (300g.) pkg. Goat Cheese with Cranberry and Cinnamon (“Celebrity” brand in Canada but if you can’t find it, you can make your own with a large “log” of goat cheese mixed with about 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce and about 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon)
- 1 small Bartlett or Bosc pear, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- 2 Tbsp. whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In bowl, stir together goat cheese, pear, breadcrumbs, cranberries, walnuts, parsley, cream and pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface and brush lightly with butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo; brush with butter and repear with another 2 sheets of phyllo and butter.
- Spoon half of the goat cheese mixture along one side of the phyllo, leaving a 2 inch border on each side. Fold in the sides and roll up phyllo jellyroll style to form a long roll.
- Place on a large parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake in 400° F. oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice in to 1-inch rounds.
- Makes about 30 pieces.
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 12