I spotted this recipe in the Winter 2008 Food & Drink and knew I’d better get this recipe down before I lost the magazine. These double chocolate cupcakes start with a chocolate cake mix but get dressed up from there. For a family-friendly icing, just leave out the liqueur.
They apparently freeze really well, even when iced. Simply freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet and then pop into resealable freezer bags. (Thinking that having a supply of these in the freezer will make them perfect for those times when nothing but chocolate will do :)
Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Mocha Icing
Summary: These are the perfect cupcake for chocolate and coffee lovers. The cupcakes are moist and full of chocolate and the mocha frosting is delicious!
- For the Cupcakes:
- 24 large paper cupcake liners
- 1 chocolate cake mix (515 g. package)
- 1 instant chocolate pudding mix (113 g. package)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the Icing:
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coffee-flavoured liqueur
- 2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder or coffee granules
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- Chocolate covered coffee beans
- Preheat oven according to cake package.
- Line muffin pans with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat according to package directions. Stir in chocolate chops. Spoon batter into cupcake liners. Bake according to package. Cool completely before preparing icing.
- For icing, melt chocolate with liqueur and espresso powder in a small metal bowl that fits snugly over a saucepan with hot water or the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, using electric beaters, beat butter alternatively with 3 cups icing sugar and milk until creamy. Beat in melted chocolate, then vanilla. Icing will firm upon cooling but for a thicker icing, beat in remaining icing sugar.
- Frost cooled cupcakes in billowy swirls. Top with a chocolate covered coffee bean or chop coarsely and sprinkle over cupcakes.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 24
From the LCBO’s Food & Drink – Winter 2008 | Photo