I love muffins but I love them more when they’re hot and fresh from the oven. I guess that’s why I think this big batch muffin mix is so brilliant. It will keep for up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator! That means that I can mix once and cook them up a few at a time whenever I like and always enjoy a hot fresh muffin. (And there’s just something about quickly baking up a few muffins for breakfast or for the kids when they come home from school that makes me feel so Martha-like :)
This basic muffin mix is also a great base for adding a variety of additions to vary the flavour – dates, raisins, blueberries, cranberries, apple etc.) so they can be a bunch of different muffins from one big batch.
Big Batch Bran Muffins
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups 100% Bran
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
- 5 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 4 cups bran flakes
- (Optional additions that can be added right before baking: dates, raisins, blueberries, cranberries, cubed fresh apple)
- Pour the boiling water over the 100% bran and let stand. Meanwhile, cream sugar and butter. Add eggs to sugar mixture and beat well. Add buttermilk and 100% bran mixture.
- Sift flour, soda, salt and add to bran flakes. Fold dry ingredients into liquid mixture slowly until mixed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Before baking, add dates, raisins, blueberries, cranberries or fresh cubed apple, if you like. Bake as few or as many muffins as you want!
- To bake: Preheat oven to 400° F. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins and bake on the middle oven rack for 15-20 minutes.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 6 dozen