Cornbread and chili is such a nice combination and this chili casserole puts the cornbread right on top! The chili part of this casserole, made with round or sirloin beef, can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake up.
This is great, cold weather comfort food!
Chunky Chili Casserole with Cornbread Topping
Summary: This is great cold weather comfort food. You can make the chili filling ahead, so it’s a great dish for entertaining, as well.
- 2 lb. inside round or sirloin tip oven roast, trimmed (or steaks)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) chili-style stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14oz/398ml) tomato sauce
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- For Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- To make Chili: Cut beef into 1/2-inch cubes. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat, then brown beef in batches. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot, chili powder, oregano and pepper to pot. Fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (about 5 minutes).
- Return beef and any juice to the pot. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Transfer to a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- If making ahead, refrigerate overnight or freeze up to 2 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator. Add coriander then heat in a 9×13 inch glass baking dish covered with foil at 400° F. until bubbly (about 30 minutes), then add cornbread topping.
- Cornbread Topping: In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, butter and egg and pour over flour mixture. Sprinkle with corn and stir just until combined.
- Spoon in 8 dollops over filling. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a 400° F. oven until topping is browned and no longer doughy underneath, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 8