This is the meat loaf I grew up with and it’s still one of my favourite meatloaf recipes. This recipe has lots of flavour and I love the tomato sauce topping. Goes great with mashed potatoes.
I like to make these into mini meatloaves, using a muffin or small loaf pan. Which ever way you make them, be sure to place a cookie sheet underneath to keep your oven clean. These have a tendency to be messy in the oven.
Summary: The version I grew up eating. I sometimes replace the tomato sauce with tomato paste, for a richer tomato taste.
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Prepared yellow mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers (or more)
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- In large bowl mix together the tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Pour half the tomato mixture into a larger bowl; add the egg, salt, pepper and crackers and mix. Add the ground beef and onion and mix well.
- Shape into loaf on a (foil-lined) baking sheet or place in loaf pan (with a baking sheet underneath to catch any fat that spills over while cooking). Spread with the remaining tomato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 60 min
Total time: 1 hour 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 4