This recipe, from the LCBO’s Food and Drink Magazine, seems like a perfect warmer weather treat. And so pretty, too! All the yumminess of Lemon Meringue Pie in a perfectly portable form.
Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes
Summary: These are perfect little summer treats, with all the flavours of the classic pie in cupcake form.
- For the Lemon Curd:
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 whole large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- For the Meringue:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the Lemon Curd, whisk lemon juice, eggs, egg yolk and sugar in a metal bowl until smooth. Add butter and place bowl over a pot of gently simmering water. Whisk gently until curd thickens and leaves a ribbon when whisk is lifted, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and strain. Stir in lemon zest and chill completely before filling.
- For the Cupcakes, preheat oven to 375°F .
- Line 2 muffin tins with paper cups. Sift pastry flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine milk and lemon zest. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture in 3 additions. Fill paper cups just over halfway and bake 18 to 20 minutes, until cake springs back when touched and only just begins to colour. Allow to cool completely.
- For the Meringue, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar and continue whipping until egg whites hold an upright peak when beaters are lifted.
- To assemble, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and place on a baking sheet. Carve out a hole in each cupcake with a paring knife (discard or snack on scraps). Spoon or pipe 2 tbsp (25 mL) of lemon curd into each cupcake. Spoon dollops or pipe spikes or swirls of meringue over curd. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes, until tops of meringues brown.
- Makes 24 cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for 4 hours or chilled for 1 day.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 50 min
Total time: 1 hour 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 24 cupcakes
LCBO’s Food and Drink Magazine Early Summer 2004 by Anna Olson | Photo