I’ve always loved Carrot Cake. When I was pregnant with my son, I craved it all the time. Of course, that might explain the 60 pound weight gain ;) Of all the different Carrot Cakes I have tried, my Mom’s recipe has always been my favourite, so I thought I’d share it here in case there is some other pregnant woman in need of a carrot cake that will satisfy that craving (or for anyone who just feels the need).
This carrot cake has no pineapple. I know that’s in a lot of carrot cakes, but not this one. The cream cheese icing for this cake is also my favourite. I use it often on other things, as well.
Mom’s Carrot Cake
Summary: This is my my favourite carrot cake. It’s moist and flavourful and the cream cheese icing is fabulous!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts)
- For Cream Cheese Icing*:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- (*will generously ice a 9×13-inch sheet cake, but may need to double for a layer cake)
- Cream together sugar and oil. Add carrots and mix. Add eggs and mix. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into a 9×13 baking pan (or 2-8″ rounds to make a layer cake).
- Bake 25-35 minutes (for 8′ round) or 40-45 minutes for 9×13 in 350° F. oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- To make icing Ice with Cream Cheese Icing: beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add icing sugar and beat until fluffy and smooth.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 45 min | Total time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 12