These muffins are a great way to use up the abundance of Spring rhubarb. They freeze well so make lots and enjoy them all summer long. These freeze well and are really adorable in mini muffin pans.
Looking for more rhubarb muffin recipes? See our Rhubarb Crisp Muffins.
Rhubarb Strusel Muffins
Summary: These are a great way to use up your Spring Rhubarb. I love these in the afternoon with tea. These freeze well, too.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk.
- In another bowl, combine egg with 1/3 cup melted butter, buttermilk and brown sugar. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients, just until combined. Stir in rhubarb. Scoop batter into non-stick muffin pans or pans lined with paper liners.
- For topping: mix sugar with cinnamon. Brush top of muffins with melted butter. Sprinkle sugar over muffins.
- Bake 25 minutes or until muffins are cooked through. (Mini muffins take about 15 minutes.) Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 40 min
Number of servings (yield): 12