This is one of those family recipes that I grew up eating and continued making myself over the years. Unfortunately, that means that there isn’t exactly a written recipe for it anywhere that I know of. But … it’s too yummy and easy not to share anyway, so here it is.
This is a lovely summer pasta salad that I love to have in the fridge for lunch or as a side for whatever we throw on the BBQ.
Pasta Salad with Tuna and Cabbage
Summary: This is my favourite summer salad. The cabbage is optional. It’s a great salad with or without it. If I don’t use cabbage, I will substitute some chopped celery, instead (for a little green).
- About 2 cups pasta, macaroni, rotini or large (but not jumbo) shells work nicely (can increase to 3 cups)
- 1 to 1-1/4 cup Miracle Whip™ Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup milk (to thin dressing slightly)
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. Kraft French Salad Dressing
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded (or alternately, 3/4 cup finely chopped celery)
- I can flaked tuna, in water
- Boil pasta to al dente. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Allow to drain and cool slightly while making the dressing.
- Combine Miracle Whip, milk and French dressing in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Shred cabbage (or cut celery). Open canned tuna and drain off a bit of the water if there’s a lot (I like to put a bit of the tuna water in the salad for flavour).
- Pour cooked pasta into large bowl. Add cut cabbage (or celery, if using) and tuna. Pour the prepared dressing on top. Stir thoroughly to mix all the ingredients. Refrigerate until cooled completely and enjoy!
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 6