Looking for a great summer dessert? This Apricot Fool recipe is wonderful combination of fruit, crumbled meringue pieces and whipped cream that can all be made up ahead of time and assembled right before serving.
Any fruit would work with this. Simply substitute the apricots for any fruit and the jam for the same type of fruit jam.
This recipe comes from Anna Olson as featured in the Summer 2007 Food and Drink Magazine.
Summary: This is a great summer dessert. You could easily substitute any fruit for the apricots.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 fresh apricots, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- For meringue, whip egg whites and vinegar until foamy, then gradually add sugar. Whip whites until they hold a stiff peak when beaters are lifted. Spread meringue onto prepared baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes, until dry. Cool and store at room temperature.
- For apricots, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, until fruits are tender, about 10 minutes. Cool, then chill completely.
- For fool, whip cream to stiff peaks immediately before serving.
- (To make ahead, prepare all 3 parts and refrigerate separately until ready to serve.)
- To serve: Gently fold apricot mixture into whipped cream. Crumble in meringue and spoon into parfait glasses or other serving dishes.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 40 min | Total time: 55 min
Number of servings (yield): 6