This banana bread is so good, I let my bananas get over-ripe on purpose just so I can make it. It’s really moist and yummy! I’ve also included an optional crumb topping that I like to add once in a while, for when I’d like a little crunch with it.
Let your bananas get really, really ripe for the best banana flavour.
Moist and Yummy Banana Bread
Summary: This is my favourite banana bread (and I’ve baked quite a few). I’ve provided a crumb topping that I like, if you’d like too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 – 1 cup brown sugar (use the 1 cup if you like things a little sweeter)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/3 cups overripe bananas, mashed (about 4-5 large bananas)
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Optional: Crumb Topping (see recipe and instructions below)
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven (2nd from bottom) and preheat oven to 350° F . Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt,cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out “almost” clean, about 55-65 minutes (Check often, as this is better a little undercooked that overcooked, for the moistest loaf).
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional Crumb Topping:
- While loaf is baking, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a bowl. Cut in 1 Tbsp. butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until it becomes like a coarse cornmeal.
- When loaf has baked for 45 minutes, carefully remove from oven and sprinkle crumb on top. Put back in the oven for the final 15-25 minutes cooking time, until loaf is done as tested with toothpick.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 1