As the days get cooler and cooler every day, my thoughts are turning again to soup. To get soup season started, I thought I’d do “Seven Days of Soup”, with a new soup recipe every day.
Day 6 – This Chicken Tortilla soup is always a hit when I serve it. It’s a great way to use up left-over chicken or take the easy way and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the deli to use. Of course, you can also leave out the chicken altogether and it’s still great.
This soup can be made in a slow-cooker or crockpot or in a Dutch oven on the stove-top. Be sure to use the suggested garnishes and they really make the soup!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Summary: This is a quick and easy soup, since it starts with cooked chicken. Great for left-over chicken or try it using a rotisserie chicken.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 – 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce (or try Chipotle flavour)
- 1 small can kernel corn
- 1 small can black beans
- For Garnish:
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, pulled from stem
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 4-6 Flour Tortillas, for tortilla strips (*instructions below)
- Optional: Dollop of sour cream
- To make in a slow cooker:
- Throw everything except the garnishes in your crock pot and let it cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- Dress with garnishes and give it a squeeze of lime.
- To make in a Dutch oven:
- Saute the garlic and onion in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil before adding the remaining ingredients. Simmer for at least an hour so that the flavours mix together. Dress with garnishes and give it a squeeze of lime.
- * To make Tortilla Strips:
- Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips. Place the tortilla strips on a large baking sheet (single layered) and spray them with pan spray, or baste them with a little melted butter. Season with salt and pepper and place them in a 375° F. oven. Bake until golden and crisp (about 10 minutes), turning strips halfway through baking.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 6