General Tsao’s Chicken (or General Tso’s, if you prefer) is a favourite in our house and makes a great dinner with some jasmine rice and a steamed vegetable.
I make this as written here often, but sometimes, I skip the breading and frying of the chicken. It makes it quicker and lighter for days when I’m pressed for time or not feeling like something fried. To do this as well, simply brown the chicken in your skillet first and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
General Tso’s Chicken
Summary: This is a family favourite meal. For a lighter, quicker option, you can skip the breading and frying of the chicken and simply saute the chicken by itself and enjoy it with the great sauce.
- 3/4 cup white sugar (can reduce to 1/2 cup if you like it a little less sweet)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 heaping Tbsp. Asian Chili Garlic Sauce for mild heat. Add 2 (or more) Tbsp. if you like it hot. Available in the Asian food section of your grocery store.
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- For frying:
- 1 cup canola oil (for frying)
- For finishing:
- 1 cup carrots, chopped into thin diagonal slices
- Prepare the Sauce: In a small bowl combine white sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white wine vinegar. Add the hot chicken broth, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and hot water and stir until the sugar and cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- To Prepare Chicken: In a separate bowl, combine chicken, 1 Tbsp. soy sauce and pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1/4 cup cornstarch and stir until chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat vegetable oil in skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken pieces into skillet, letting excess coating drip off before adding. Cook until crispy the remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- Remove most of the oil from the skillet and return over medium high heat. Add carrots and cook for one minute. Add prepared sauce and cook until boiling and thickened.
- Return chicken to sauce and cook just until re-warmed. Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with green onions to garnish.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4