As the days get cooler and cooler every day, my thoughts are turning again to soup. To get soup season started, I thought I’d do “Seven Days of Soup”, with a new soup recipe every day.
Roasting the corn in this classic chowder really adds a great flavour. Use fresh corn if you can get it, or substitute frozen corn kernels. Some left-over cooked chicken is a nice addition to this soup to really make it a meal.
Roasted Corn Chowder
Summary: This is a great corn chowder. The roasting of the corn brings a great flavour to the soup. Can be made with fresh or frozen corn.
- 2 large cobs of corn, husked (or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn)
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp.salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 potatoes, cubed (wash thoroughly and leave the skins on for a quicker soup)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup diced bacon (use diced pre-cooked bacon for a quicker soup)
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup 10% cream
- In pot of boiling water, blanch corn for 5 minutes. Drain and let cool enough to handle; remove kernels. In small bowl, toss together corn, oil, salt and pepper. Spread on small baking sheet; roast in 400° F. oven until beginning to char, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat; cook potatoes, onion, red pepper, carrot and bacon, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually pour in stock, stirring and scraping up brown bits from pan; bring to boil. Add dried thyme. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add corn and cream; heat through. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. Gently reheat without boiling.) Serve garnished with bacon bits.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 6