I’m one of those people who needs a regular hit of chocolate, so I made my own version of the famous Two Bite Brownies. I started by adapting an Epicurious recipe for a great cocoa brownie, since I know I will always have ingredients on hand and I streamlined the preparation, so I can get to eating them faster ;)
I like to make up a batch and freeze them. To thaw, just pop one in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and enjoy! These make great lunch-box treats for the kids, too.
Two Bite Brownies
Summary: These are the perfect size for a quick and easy chocolate fix. Only one pan to wash! If you don’t have a mini-muffin tin, you can bake this batter in an 8×8-inch pan and make cut brownies. These freeze well!
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- With a rack in the lower third of the oven, preheat oven to 325°F. Place paper liners in 2 mini muffin tins or spray well with non-stick spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat, then add sugar and salt, and stir until well combined. Add the cocoa powder and cook, stirring until the mixture is smooth and quite warm. Remove the saucepan from the oven and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot. (Important, since if the mixture is too hot when you add the eggs, the eggs will cook and make for a not very appealing brownie!).
- Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon. Spoon the batter into the prepared mini muffin tins, filling 1/2 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a brownie is only slightly moist with batter, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the tin. Remove from muffin tin and enjoy!
- Dust with a bit of icing sugar, if you like.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 32 two-bite brownies
Adapted from an Epicurious recipe