Biscotti is the perfect thing for a holiday gift. I like to make a couple of batches, wrap in some pretty plastic bags (Walmart always carries them around the holidays) and put 2 or 3 in a nice big coffee cup. They make great gifts for teachers, bus drivers or just about anyone.
These Cranberry Almond Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle are perfect for this idea, as they are so festive and pretty.
Cranberry Almond Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle
Summary: These are great any time of year, but perfect for holiday baking or gifts.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1/2 cup of sliced, coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg white
- 6 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped, or white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend together well. Using electric mixer or stand mixer, beat together the sugar, butter, eggs and almond extract in large bowl until well blended. Mix in the flour mixture, then add thedried cranberries. Divide dough in half.
- Using floured hands, shape each piece into 2 1/2-inch-wide by 9 1/2-inch-long by 1-inch-high log. Transfer both logs to prepared baking sheet, leaving a space in between the two as the dough will spread. Whisk the egg white in small bowl until foamy. Brush egg white glaze on top and sides of each log.
- Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread), about 35 minutes. Cool completely on sheet on rack. Leave oven on. Transfer logs to a cutting board and remove the parchment from the baking sheet. Using serrated knife, cut logs on diagonal into 1/2-inch-wide slices. Arrange slices, cut side down, on same sheets. Bake 10 minutes, turn biscotti over and bake until just beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Transfer biscotti to rack to cool.
- Stir chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water until smooth. Remove from over water. Using fork, drizzle chocolate over biscotti. Let stand until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Freeze well, thawing at room temperature.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
Total time: 1 hour 10 min
Number of servings (yield): 2 dozen
Adapted from an Epicurious recipe | Photo