I made these cookies last year and they were a big hit. I thought I’d share the recipe here for anyone looking for a festive holiday cookie.
Looking for more festive holiday cookies? Check out my post 52 Fabulous Festive Cookie Recipes.
Summary: These cookies keep well, so they are great for Christmas gifts.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecan or pistachio pieces
- (Optional) Sanding or turbinado sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. In a small bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Gradually mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Stir in cranberries and pecans (or pistachios).
- Pinch off about 1 Tbsp. of the dough and roll into a ball. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Continue with remaining dough, spacing balls 1 inch apart. Press down to flatten slightly. Sprinkle with some turbinado or sanding sugar, if you like.
- Bake in the centre of oven until tops are light golden, 12 to 15 min. Remove baking sheet to a wire rack. Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 2 months.
- Makes 40 cookies
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 40 cookies
Source: Chatelaine Magazine November 2007 | Photo