Gingerbread Men are such fun to make this time of year. Of course, they don’t have to be cut into “men” shapes. They can be cut into any shape and decorated for a festive treat and a fun family activity. This is an old recipe from a place that was known for their Gingerbread Cookies and so it makes a large batch. Feel free to half the recipe if you don’t want lots of cookies (but who doesn’t want lots of cookies? ;).
Recipe: Gingerbread Men
Summary: Makes a lot of cookies. Half the recipe if you like.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups fancy molasses (if you’re halving the recipe, half is 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.)
- 1 cup melted vegetable shortening (you could probably substitute butter for the shortening but it will result in a crispier cookie)
- Beat eggs, brown sugar and molasses together. Add melted shortening.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly. Add to egg mixture and mix until combined thoroughly and mixture is doughy.
- Form into 2 balls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out gingerbread until it is evenly about 1/4 inch thick. (*Tip: Cover dough with plastic wrap and then roll. No sticking!) Using a cookie cutter, press out shapes. Carefully lift cut shapes with spatula and place on cookie sheet, leaving about an inch between cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes (depending on size and thickness). Cool on cookie sheet for a minute or two before transfering to a wire rack to cool. (Tip: for a more cake-like cookie, remove cookies when they are still puffy and let sit on cookie sheet until stable enough to transfer. For a crispier cookie, bake just until the are no longer puffy. Let sit on cookie sheet just a minute and then transfer to cooling rack).
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 3