This muffin was a canada.com muffin contest award winner and is a nice change from the ordinary banana muffin. Another great way to use up past-their-prime bananas!
Like muffins? I rounded-up a bunch of recipes in my post at Much Ado About Muffins.
Chunky Monkey Muffins
Summary: These are fabulous muffins and sure to be a winner with the kids! A great way to use up over-ripe bananas, too.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups banana, mashed (nicely browned bananas work well)
- 1 cup bran
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (or combination of both)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- (Optional) 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla and butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, then pour in the egg mixture and mix just until blended. Gently fold in mashed banana, bran, walnuts or pecans and coconut. Pour batter into greased or paper-lined muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Makes 24 muffins.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 24 Muffins