I love homemade macaroni and cheese but sometimes the baked version can be a little dry for me. When I crave some thick saucy, cheesy macaroni and cheese, I pull out this stove-top recipe. This recipe is from a Milk Calendar of many years ago and it’s classic comfort food and it’s fast and easy, too!
Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese
Summary: This is a quick and easy way to enjoy rich and cheesy macaroni and cheese. Be sure to start with block cheese and grate it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese has caking agents that will change the texture of the dish.
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups FRESHLY grated Cheddar Cheese (pre-grated cheese just won’t give the same, great results)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Dash each Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling , salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, cheese, eggs, flour, mustard and pepper in a food processor or blender. Process until well blended.
- When macaroni is cooked, drain well. Return macaroni to the pot and place on a medium burner. Add the 2 Tbsp. butter to the macaroni and stir until melted and pasta is coated with butter. Add the cheese sauce mixture. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until mixture is creamy , smooth and thick – about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with nutmeg, Worcestershire and/or tabasco, if desired. Serve immediately.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 25 min
Number of servings (yield): 4