We have a new Ice Cream maker in the household after the holiday season and we are enjoying it a lot. After making a couple of batches so far, I can say definitively that it’s not cheaper to make your own ice cream, but it certainly is nicer ice cream (not to mention that you know exactly what’s in it!).
So far, we’ve only tried a basic vanilla (Alton Brown’s Serious Vanilla Ice Cream, which was very good) and this one, a lovely fresh strawberry ice cream that is head and shoulders above any strawberry ice cream I’ve ever eaten. The fresh strawberry flavour was just lovely!
This recipe would work equally well with any fresh fruit (peach, cherry, raspberry, etc.), so I plan to try it with each fruit as it comes into season this summer.
The Best Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Summary: You will need an ice cream maker (of course) and a blender/food processor for this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (35%)
- 1 cup Half and Half cream (10%) or evaporated milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups strawberries puree or any other frozen fruit (fresh fruit put through a blender to puree plus a few extra to slice and fold in later if you like)
- 1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- Hull and wash strawberries and slice in half into a blender or food processor. Blend until fruit is pureed. Transfer to a freezer-proof container and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove fruit puree from the freezer, measure out 1 to 1 1/2 cups and pour back into the blender. Add the cream, the half and half and the sugar and blend until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer to a freezer container and freeze to ripen.
- If you like chunks of fruit in your ice cream, reserve some strawberries to fold into the ice cream before placing in the freezer.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 2 min | Total time: 40 min
Number of servings (yield): 8