Don’t you just hate staring at a package of pork chops wondering what on earth to do with them? And bonus points if whatever it turns out to be is a quick and easy dinner.
This recipe is a great choice that perfectly fits the bill. A couple of minutes on the stove-top to brown them and start the sauce and then they’re into the oven to cook. Perfect for a before-dinner glass of wine!
Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Summary: These are an easy dinner solution and relatively quick. After browning, just pop them into the oven to finish cooking. The sauce on these is yummy!
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 4 pork chops, 1-inch thick
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper sauce, like Tabasco (optional)
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat oil in large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Pat pork chops dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and drain drippings from skillet. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, 1/4 tsp. pepper and the red pepper sauce into the skillet. Bring to a boil. Return chops to skillet. Spread onion and lemon slices on top. Cover with foil and bake in pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until the chops are tender.
- Transfer chops to serving dish. Return skillet to stove-top over medium-high heat. Boil pan juices until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour over chops. Serve.
- Serve with white or brown rice and a vegetable.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 45 min | Total time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 4