This recipe incorporates a lot of my favourite things – pasta, tomatoes and of course, goat cheese. This is an interesting variation though in that the small pasta is cooked in chicken broth “risotto” style. This is a flavourful, quick and easy pasta dish that is a perfect for a dinner for two.
Try this dish with fresh thyme, oregano and basil. Just up the amount of fresh herbs to 1 Tbsp.
Pasta with Chicken Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
Summary: This is a quick, easy and tasty pasta dish. Note that ingredients make 2-3 entree size plates. Double recipe as necessary.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil for frying
- Flour for dredging
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package large cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 1 – 2 cups small sized pasta (ditalini, small penne or bowties broken in half)
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz. mild soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly snipped chives for garnish (optional)
- Freshly snipped basil for garnish (optional)
- Pound the chicken between two pieces of wax paper to an even thickness, around 1/4″. Cut the meat into 1/2″ thick strips. Dredge with flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat. Add half of the onion and the chicken in one layer and fry for 2-3 minutes until browned. Turn and quickly brown the other side for 1-2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan into a small dish and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the 1/2 cup olive oil on medium heat. Mix in the thyme, oregano and basil. Season with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Add the half garlic and the tomatoes. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and tender. With a slotted spoon remove the tomatoes from the oil into a small bowl and set aside. The tomato herb infused oil can be cooled, jarred and saved in the refrigerator for another meal. Reserve 1-2 tsp, for seasoning the finished pasta.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the 2 Tbsp. of butter. Add the other half of the onion and cook 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the remaining half of the garlic and cook 1 minute. Now add the pasta and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to brown on the edges. Mix in 1/2 cup of chicken stock and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the broth is nearly evaporated. Keep adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring and incorporating until nearly gone between additions and until the pasta is tender and coated in a thick sauce, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken along with the 1-2 tsp. of the reserved flavored tomato cooking oil. Add the goat cheese and parmesan and quickly stir until melted and incorporated evenly with the pasta. Spoon onto heated dinner plates, sprinkle with chopped herbs if desired and serve with extra grated parmesan on the side.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 2