Grill up a bit of the Caribbean this summer with this jerked chicken with grilled sweet potatoes. Serve with fresh lime slices and a side of rice for a perfect summer dinner. And as a bonus … the chicken is set to marinade well ahead of dinner and the sweet potato packets can be made ahead, as well, giving you lots of time to enjoy company or just a late summer afternoon without worrying about dinner.
Options: Try this jerk marinade with pork or fish, as well.
BBQ Jerk Chicken and Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Summary: This is a great summer dinner idea, especially for spice lovers. The potatoes are delicious!
- Jerk Marinade:
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small hot chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 chicken breads, bone in
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- pinch allspice
- pinch salt
- To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients by hand or using a blender or food processor, to make a paste.
- Rub the meat with the marinade, place it in a plastic bag or in a shallow dish and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Bring meat to room temperature while preparing the BBQ. Prepare sweet potatoes.
- For the sweet potatoes, cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices and toss with the remaining ingredients. Cut two pieces of heavy-duty foil, pile half the potatoes on each piece, and then seal the edges.
- Using a drip pan, grill chicken over indirect medium-low heat until it is cooked through (about 30-45 minutes). Put sweet potatoes on BBQ after chicken has been cooking 15-20 minutes. Grill potatoes over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until tender, flipping packages occasionally during cooking. Chicken should reach 180° F. internal temperature. Baste chicken periodically with marinade.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
Total time: 50 min
Number of servings (yield): 4