Last Spring, I cut up all my rhubarb I couldn’t use up and froze it. A year later, I still have two big bags of it in my freezer. So this year, I’m thinking a new strategy is in order. To that end, this year my plan is to bake up things with the rhubarb and then freeze that. I’ll let you know how it works out :)zz
The first thing I plan to bake and freeze is this yummy Rhubarb Streusel Bread. It freezes beautifully! Scroll down after the recipe for links to 14 more things to bake with rhubarb.
Rhubarb Streusel Bread
Summary: This is great quick, easy and moist bread, and a perfect use for some of your Spring rhubarb.
- Bread Batter:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350° F.. Grease and flour 8×4-inch loaf pan.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add orange juice and eggs. Continue beating just until mixed. (Mixture will look slightly curdled.) Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt by hand just until moistened. Gently stir in rhubarb. (Batter will be thick.)
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the batter and spread the remaining batter into prepared loaf pan. Combine all streusel ingredients in small bowl; stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle half of streusel over batter in pan; gently press into batter. Carefully spread reserved batter into pan; top with remaining streusel. Press streusel into batter.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Recipe Tips: Bread can be baked in greased and floured 9×5-inch loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes. This is a great make-ahead bread as the flavors are almost better the second day. Once loaf is completely cooled, wrap in aluminum foil and refrigerate. This bread also freezes well.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Adapted from a Land O’Lakes recipe
14 More Rhubarb Baking Recipes:
1. Rhubarb Upside Down Cake (Foodland Ontario)
2. Rhubarb Granola Muffins (Foodland Ontario)
3. Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Maple Oatmeal Topping (Foodland Ontario)
4. Special Rhubarb Cake (All Recipes)
5. Streusel Rhubarb Bread (All Recipes)
6. Rhubarb Cake I (All Recipes)
7. Rustic Rhubarb Tart (Canadian Living)
8. Rhubarb Muffins (or Loaves) (Canadian Living)
9. Rhubarb Strudel (Canadian Living)
10. Rhubarb Coffee Cake (Canadian Living)
11. Individual Rhubarb Orange Crumbles (Epicurious)
12. Rhubarb Tart with Brown Butter Streusel (Epicurious)
13. Rhubarb Streusel Cakes (Epicurious)
14. Country Rhubarb Cake (Epicurious)