Local strawberries are finally ready. Everything is a little late this year. But, they’re worth waiting for. The problem is, they only last a short time and that means finding ways to enjoy them while they’re here. This is one of my favourite ways :)
I love this pie because it preserves the fresh flavours of the strawberries. Sometimes, it’s just a shame to cook them, especially when they are local and fresh berries.
Top this pie with a generous dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Fresh Strawberry Glaze Pie
Summary: This is my a wonderful away to use fresh strawberries when they are at their best.
- 3 pints strawberries (about 3 1/4 cups whole berries)
- Pre-baked homemade or store bought pie shell, fully baked and cooled
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- (optional: a few drops of red food colouring)
- For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Wash, hull and drain berries (leave whole). Remove a few berries and crush so that there is 1 cup of pulp and juice. In a small bowl, thoroughly combine sugar and cornstarch. Add to berries with 1/2 cup water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower heat and cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat and stir in butter. (Add food colouring, if using). Cool.
- Place whole berries in pie shell and pour cooled glaze mixture over. Chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish top with whipped cream and sliced or whole berries.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 20 min
Number of servings (yield): 6