I made this salad last night and oh my how yummy! I didn’t have fresh basil so I substituted fresh parsley. I also didn’t have pine nuts but honestly, it didn’t really matter. It was great anyway!
Reviews for this recipe on Epicurious suggested additions of diced cucumber or edamame. Definitely cook the orzo in the broth though, for the best flavour.
This is a pretty salad and perfect for a BBQ or to take to a pot luck.
Orzo Salad with Tomato Feta and Green Onions
Summary: Diced cucumber or edamame would be a nice addition to this salad. Serve this chilled, at room temperature or even slightly warmed.
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the salad:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo (or riso)
- 2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil (or substitute fresh parsley)
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. (Can be made ahead).
- Bring the broth to a boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in the orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until it is tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing it frequently until cool.
- Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into the cooled orzo. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature (or some preferred this warm or chilled. Experiment!)
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 8
Adapted from an Bon Apetit recipe | Photo