I’ve been a bit hooked on salads for dinner this summer. My husband has played along, although I know he was missing “the meat”. This salad satisfied him though, with the addition of chicken and lovely seasonal peaches cooked on the grill. It doesn’t heat up the kitchen, either!
P.S. I love to change this salad up with a Balsamic Vinaigrette, once in a while.
Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
This is a great summer salad when fresh peaches are in season. Makes a great meal with the added grilled chicken.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
- 2 peaches, ripe but firm
- Olive oil, for brushing peaches
- 8 cups mixed greens, like Spring Mix
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, toasted pecans
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Season chicken breasts to taste with salt and pepper. Grill on medium high heat until chicken is no longer pink (about 15 minutes). Slice chicken and set aside. Reduce heat on your grill to medium and lightly oil grill. Cut peaches in half, discarding pits. (Splitting a peach in half only really works well with Freestone peaches. If your peaches aren’t freestone, simply cut a large slice off each side, for 4 slices per peach and grill those.) Brush peaches lightly with olive oil and place on grill. (You can peel the peaches if you like). Grill peaches, uncovered until grill marks appear. Slice each grilled peach into quarters and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and thyme. Set aside half of this dressing mixture. Add greens, mint (if using), and red onion to the mixing bowl and toss with dressing. Arrange the salad onto 4 salad plates and top with grilled peaches, sliced, grilled chicken, toasted pecans and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over top of each plate and serve.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 20 min
Number of servings (yield): 4