This is one of our favourite dinners. In fact, we just had it again tonight! I try to stock up on pork tenderloin when they are on sale, so I can enjoy it often.
The Feta Pate is adapted from a recipe on All Recipes. It includes anchovies, which I don’t care for, so I omit. If you like them, you might want to try the original recipe, instead.
I will often improvise with the Feta Pate, depending what is in my fridge. It’s very forgiving. The main taste is the feta, so that’s probably non-negotiable, but if you don’t have the cream cheese just use the sour cream or vice versa. Tonight I happened to have Mascarpone in the fridge, so I substituted that for the cream cheese and sour cream. I will often leave the butter out, as I don’t think it’s really needed with all the other creamy stuff already in there, but you can use your own judgement on that one.
Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions with Feta Pate
Summary: This is one of our favourite meals on the BBQ. We cook it often when entertaining, as it can be prepared ahead and cooked up quickly.
- For Pork:
- 1 or 2 pork tenderloins (depending on size and how many you’re feeding)
- Sliced bacon (1 slice for each medallion)
- Montreal Steak Spice or other steak spice mix
- For Feta Pate:
- 1 cloves garlic, finely minced (or if you really love garlic, try 2 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 oz. (1/4 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the Feta Pate: Combine the garlic, butter, cream cheese, feta cheese, sour cream, chives, hot pepper sauce and pepper in the container of a food processor. Process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside (refrigerate if making well ahead).
- Cut the pork tenderloins into medallions, about as thick as a slice of bacon. Wrap each medallion in bacon and secure with a skewer . Dip both sides of the pork in steak spice. Grill on the BBQ or pan-sear and then finish in the oven.
- Remove skewers from meat. Serve with a big dollop of feta pate on top of pork.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 6