Looking for something a little lighter for a quick supper that you can feel good about eating? This dish is for you!
Chock full of vegetables and low-fat, it’s a really flexible dish that you can tweak to your own family’s taste, not to mention a great way to use up odds and ends of meat and vegetables.
Use either leftover cooked chicken (or beef would work, as well), buy a rotisserie chicken and take the meat off or cook up a few chicken breasts right in the broth, if you prefer.
Asian Chicken Bowl
Summary: This is more of a guide than an exact recipe, so you can customize to your tastes or what you have in the fridge! Ingredients listed are suggestions so you can add any or all of them, as you like.
- Cooked chicken, shredded, from a rotisserie chicken or leftovers OR uncooked boneless chicken, sliced into strips (or try beef, as well)
- 4 cups chicken broth, for about 4 servings or more, as needed (or use beef broth if using beef as the base meat)
- Broth Flavouring Suggestions:
- Soy sauce (2 – 4 Tbsp.)
- Brown Sugar (about a Tbsp.)
- Garlic (1 clove) and/or fresh ginger (1-inch piece), thinly sliced
- Hot red pepper flakes, Asian chili sauce or Sriracha sauce (be a little conservative at the start – you can always add more heat later)
- Sesame oil (1 – 2 tsp.)
- Step One Vegetable Suggestions:
- Carrots and/or celery, julienned
- Button, cremini, brown and/or shitake mushrooms, sliced
- Bamboo shoots, sliced
- Step Two Vegetable Suggestions:
- Red bell pepper, julienned
- Bean sprouts
- Greens, such as bok choy, kale or spinach
- Snow or snap peas
- Optional rice/pasta additions (for a more filling meal):
- rice noodles (pre-cooked separately)
- Udon noodles (pre-cooked separately)
- Spaghetti or angel hair pasta, regular or whole wheat, broken into smaller lengths
- Finishing Touches:
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lime zest
- Green onion, sliced or cut on the diagonal
- Cilantro or Parsley, fresh, chopped
- More hot sauce, to taste
- Add broth and flavourings to a stock pot, bring to a boil the reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. You can remove the ginger and garlic at this point, if you’d like.
- Add uncooked chicken slices (if using uncooked chicken) and any or all of the Step One Vegetables. Add uncooked rice, orzo or pasta, if using. (*Note: If opting for rice or udon noodles, pre-cook in a separate pot as directed on the package and add with the Step Two Vegetables or place directly in serving bowls and spoon chicken/vegetable mixture over.)
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and rice/pasta is cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in shredded cooked chicken (if using that option) and any or all Step Two Vegetables. Stir. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add finishing touches and serve in a big bowl.
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4