I could eat this dish every night. It has all of my favourite flavours in it. I also love that it’s quick and easy enough for a weeknight but pretty enough to serve to company.
I like to serve this with a bit of jasmine rice or some boiled, red-skinned potatoes sometimes, although it’s just fine all on it’s own. Bonus: if using skinless chicken, low or non-fat sour cream and chicken broth, this is also a great tasting and low-fat dinner!
Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with a Creamy Tarragon Mustard Sauce
Summary: This is a quick and easy dinner idea. The sauce is great and can be as rich or low-fat as you like.
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (can be skin-on, bone-in or skinless, boneless)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium or regular
- 1-2 Tbsp. dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 -1/2 cup regular or low/non-fat sour cream, depending on how creamy you like it (I prefer the lesser amount myself)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon (1 1/2 tsp. dried)
- Fresh lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Trim asparagus and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and set-aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan in a single layer. Brown lightly on both sides, for about 2 minutes each, lower heat and cook chicken through (Time will vary, depending on type of chicken used. Cutting boneless breasts in half will speed cooking time). Transfer chicken to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion to same pan. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine to pan and cook, stirring, until almost all of it has evaporated. Add chicken broth, cooking until reduced by half, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Once the sauce is reduced, whisk in mustard, sour cream and 1 Tbsp. of tarragon, stirring until sauce is smooth. Cook about 1 minute so sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- To serve, place chicken and asparagus on a plate. Spoon sauce over the chicken and across the middle of the asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining tarragon and serve with a wedge of lemon on the side for squeezing over dish.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4