These rolls are so easy, it’s a breeze to cook some up to accompany any meal. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, it’s even easier!
If you’re cooking for a crowd, just double the recipe and cook two pans of them.
Pull-Apart Soft Dinner Rolls
Summary: Makes 9 rolls. Double ingredients and make 2 pans for 18 rolls, if needed.
- 2 – 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. instant yeast (if using dry active yeast, see below for instructions)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 egg (break 1 egg into cup, stir thoroughly and then add half to dough)
- Add flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Stir to combine.
- Measure out milk in a glass measuring cup. Add butter to milk. Microwave for about a minute, until milk is warm and butter is melted. Cool slightly if it feels too hot. Add to flour mixture, along with 1/2 egg. Mix until the dough forms into a soft ball, adding more flour or milk as necessary. Knead by hand for 8-10 minutes or in the stand mixer for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Oil a bowl and roll dough in oil to moisten all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm spot until doubled in size (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Grease or spray and 8-inch round cake pan.
- Remove dough from bowl and cut into 9 pieces (cut into 3 even pieces and then cut each of these 3 into 3 pieces). Form each piece into a ball. Place two balls into the centre of the baking pan and then place the remaining 7 balls around the outside. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Before baking, dust rolls lightly with flour. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool on rack. If making ahead, re-heat in the microwave if desired, before serving.
- *If using active dry yeast, proof yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 tsp. sugar for 10 minutes. Whisk in heated butter, 1/2 cup milk and egg. Add flour, 2 tsp. sugar and salt and continue as directed.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 2 hours 50 min
Number of servings (yield): 8