Do you have left-over turkey or still have turkey in the freezer from Christmas? I did, so I cooked up this yummy Turkey Pot Pie yesterday to help deal with it before it was in the freezer for too long!
This is a great way to use up left-over turkey or of course, you can just as easily use left-over chicken. It’s perfect January comfort food!
Turkey Pot Pie with Puff Pastry Topping
Summary: This is the perfect use for left-over turkey. Using store bought puff pastry makes this a fairly quick and easy dish, too.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock (1 carton)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup peeled and thinly chopped or diced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly chopped or diced red-skinned potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey (or chicken)
- 1/2 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pkg. frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
- Preheat an oven to 400° F.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots and potatoes and cook until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes (It will be a pasty mess at this point but don’t despair. It will all come together once the stock is added). Slowly add the stock, stirring until smooth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the turkey, peas, thyme, bay leaf and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes and carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow casserole dish (like a lasagna pan). Roll out the puff pastry and place over filling, pressing or pinching against the edge of the pan. Brush the puff pastry with the egg mixture. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 50 min
Number of servings (yield): 4