If you have some boneless chicken around and you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner solution, look no further than this Asian-style Orange Chicken recipe.
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be as lean or as indulgent as your like, depending on whether you batter and fry your chicken … or not. I often make it without the batter and frying step, just pan-frying the chicken instead. You could also try a panko breading on this (dip in flour, then egg, then panko).
Serve this chicken dish with fresh, steamed broccoli and a side of your favourite rice.
Asian Style Orange Chicken
Summary: If you’d like to batter and fry your chicken pieces, follow the instructions for battering the chicken. If you’d prefer your dish leaner, simply salt and pepper the chicken and fry without any oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- For the Orange Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Optional: A bit of asian-style hot sauce, like sriracha or similar chili-pepper sauce (I use 1-2 tsp. Sambal Oleek).
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- For Chicken Batter (if using):
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp.corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- For Garnish:
- Green onion, slices diagonally
- Sesame Seeds
- Combine all the orange sauce ingredients except the cornstarch and the 2 Tbsp. of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring. Turn heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, combine the 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- If using chicken batter: Mix the batter ingredients together in a bowl and dip the chicken meat into the batter. Heat up a pot or wok of cooking oil. When the cooking oil is hot enough for frying, drop the chicken pieces into the oil and deep fry them until they turn golden brown and crispy. Transfer them out onto a plate with a slotted spoon, allowing excess oil to drip back into the pot.
- If not using batter: Salt and pepper the cut chicken . Heat a non-stick frying pan or wok and cook chicken until golden and cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- When chicken is almost done, turn the heat on the sauce back up medium. Stir the cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce. Stir for a minute or two until thickened then remove from heat.
- Pour over cooked chicken on plate. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
- Excellent served with steamed broccoli and a side of brown or white rice.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4