With another rhubarb season almost upon me, I still have one bag of rhubarb left in my freezer from last year! If you’re looking for a way to use up your rhubarb as well, you won’t go wrong with this great cake. I love it warm with vanilla ice cream.
Rhubarb Sour Cream Cake
Summary: This is a quick and easy cake, and a perfect use for an abundance of Spring rhubarb. You could also bake this cake in a round springform pan. Cooking time may vary.
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and grease a 9×13-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, blend together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, prepare the topping by combining the white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add into the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream. Stir in rhubarb.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350° F. for 50-60 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 55 min | Total time: 1 hour 10 min
Number of servings (yield): 12