I love Thai curry dishes. Red, green, yellow; chicken, beef, pork, seafood. I love them all. They are also really easy to make at home and are perfect for a quick and easy dinner. The other advantage of these curry dishes is that they are great fridge cleaners, since you can put just about any odds and ends of vegetables that you have in your fridge into them, as well as being a great use for leftover chicken.
Simply stir-fry up the vegetables, add your curry paste and sauce ingredients and serve with rice for a great, fast dinner. By adjusting the amount of curry paste, you can make this dish mild (family friendly) or fiery, as you like.
This is my attempt to duplicate the take-out Thai red curry chicken I enjoy. I like to serve it in a bowl with a mound of rice on a separate plate.
Thai Red Curry Chicken
Summary: This is one of my favourite home meals. You can use left-over cooked chicken or if starting with uncooked chicken, simply cut into bite sized pieces and pre-cook in the frying pan before starting with the rest of the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced into bite-sized pieces (or about 2 cups leftover cooked chicken pieces)
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks
- (Optional) 2 cups greens (bok choy, spinach etc)
- (Optional Vegetables: sliced zucchini and/ or slivered green beans)
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1-2 Tbsp. red curry paste (I usually use 2)
- 1 can coconut milk (light or regular, about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Torn basil leaves and lime quarter, for juicing over finished dish
- Side: Cooked Jasmine Rice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until tender-crisp.Add the ginger, the curry paste and a tablespoon of the cream from the top of the coconut milk. Cook, stirring in for about 1 minute. Add the rest of the coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar and fish sauce. Add the cooked chicken. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Serve with jasmine rice and a garnish of torn basil leaves and a lime quarter for juicing over.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 20 min
Number of servings (yield): 4