I finally bought myself a wok this past weekend. A carbon steel one. I carefully seasoned it per the directions yesterday and took it for a spin tonight with this spicy beef stir fry.
I love stir fries. For me, they are the perfect solution for rushed weeknights when you just want to get dinner on the table fast. The fact that they are generally vegetable-rich and lower in fat, is also a nice perk.
My wok worked wonderfully and this stir fry was yummy. Even the PTD (picky teenage daughter) cleaned her plate! The best part? One pot (or wok, I guess) and only 15 minutes to make!
This stir fry would also be really great with chicken and of course, can be made in a skillet as well.
Spicy Beef Stir Fry
This is a quick and easy dinner that can be made with any vegetables you have around. Adjust the spice level to your taste.
- 3 Tbsp. black bean garlic sauce (look for it in the Asian food section)
- 8 small, dry, whole red chili peppers or 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. thinly sirloin or similar steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper (or 1/2 orange/1/2 red pepper), cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Handful of snow peas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- For garnish: sliced green onions
- Mix black bean garlic sauce, chili peppers, soy sauce, rice wine, ginger, corn starch, sugar and sesame oil together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok (or skillet) until very hot. Add meat slices and quickly cook over high heat, turning once, until meat is cooked on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, onion and snow peas to skillet and cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer. Pour sauce mixture and chicken broth into wok and cook, stirring constantly, 2 more minutes or until sauce has thickened and is bubbling. Taste and season to taste. If you like more heat, you can add a more crushed peppers or a dash of Sriracha. (You may wish to remove the whole, dry chili peppers, as well).
- Garnish with green onions and serve with or over rice.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 510 min
Number of servings (yield): 4