I love the combination of pumpkin and cranberries. It’s not the sort of thing that you think will be great together but oh … what a pleasant surprise it is when you first taste it!
These mini loaves are perfect for lunchboxes or as gifts. They are wonderfully moist and the splash of tart cranberries adds great flavour.
I made these with fresh (frozen, actually) cranberries. You could substitute dried cranberries in a pinch but the loaves will be much sweeter. You may want to decrease the sugar just a touch in that case. I added a 1/4 cup or so of chopped pecans. Walnuts would also work or leave out the nuts altogether if you prefer.
Mini Pumpkin and Cranberry Loaves
Summary: These mini loaves have great flavour. I prefer them with fresh (or frozen) cranberries as the tart/sweet combination is a winner.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable, canola or other neutral-tasting oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (about 1/2 of a small can)
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh (or frozen) cranberries
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a mini-loaf pan and set aside. (Or one 9×5-inch loaf pan)
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the oil, eggs, milk and pumpkin and stir to combine. Add the cranberries and chopped nuts, if using.
- Divide the batter among loaf cups, being sure to distribute the cranberries evenly among loaves. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. (One large loaf will need longer)
- Allow to cool in pan then remove. These freeze well.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 40 min
Number of servings (yield): 8 Mini Loaves or 1 9×5-inch loaf