I have to confess, I have a lot of cookbooks. I love cookbooks. Unfortunately, that sometimes means that some of them get neglected. So this week I decided to pick a “cookbook of the week” and find a thing or two from cook from it. This week’s cookbook is “Who’s Coming for Dinner” by Jeffrey Suddaby.
I’d forgotten how wonderful this cookbook is. The recipes are so creative and flavourful but at the same time, simple and accessible. Like this one. Grilled chicken … with a twist. Rice … with a twist. And a bit of something different on a dinner plate … bananas! This was a great dinner. Different … but not so different that it wasn’t family-friendly. Picky teenage daughter cleaned her plate! And since it’s BBQ season, it was great to be able to cook it up on the grill.
If you’d like to speed up the process, you can pre-cook the bone-in chicken breasts a bit in the oven or microwave, so they’ll spend less time on the grill (do this before adding the rub, then add the rub before placing on the grill).
You could also grill the bananas if you like. Just leave the peel on the banana and cut in half length-wise. Sprinkle cut side with sugar and cinnamon and place on the grill cut side down (be sure grill is well oiled so they don’t stick).
Indian Rub Grilled Chicken with Coconut Rice and Caramelized Bananas
Summary: The spice rub on this chicken is great. Even though there are a lot of spices, the result is not over-powering. Everyone enjoyed this. The rice and bananas are the perfect accompaniment.
- Chicken Rub:
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin on (can use boneless, skinless if you prefer or thighs would be good as well, I think)
- Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups long or short grain rice
- 3 cups cold water
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup light (low fat) coconut milk
- 4 tsp. sugar
- Caramelized Bananas:
- 2 firm bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Prepare rub: combine all the spices, the garlic and the oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pre-heat grill or BBQ. Rub the spice mixture onto the chicken and place on grill. Bone-in chicken breast will take about 10 minutes per side. If using boneless, it will take less time.
- Prepare the rice: Rinse rice in colander until water runs clear. Place all ingredients except the sugar into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil , cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Add the sugar, cover the saucepan and place over very low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Prepare bananas: sprinkle bananas with sugar and cinnamon. Preheat a non-stick skillet over high heat and spray lightly with oil. Cook the bananas for 2 minutes on each side or until the sugar has caramelized.
- To serve: Place coconut rice on serving plates and top with the banana slices. Place the grilled chicken beside the rice and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 4