I love risotto. For me, risotto is the perfect main course. My husband … not so much. For him, it will always be a side dish. But the great thing about risotto is that it can be either.
This risotto has wonderful flavours, with the tomatoes and tangy goat cheese, so it is the perfect side dish for something like simple grilled meat or fish/shrimp. So my solution is just to serve up a big bowl for me and put something on the BBQ for the rest of the family to enjoy with their risotto.
Although you do need to babysit the risotto, it does make for a quick and simple dinner (especially if you have someone else do the BBQ duty! :)
Tomato and Goat Cheese Risotto
Summary: This flavourful risotto is great as a side dish alongside grilled chicken or fish, or as a main course.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (or 2 shallots)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, to garnish
- Warm the chicken broth in saucepan (or in the microwave) and have handy.
- Melt 3 Tbsp. of the butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion or shallots and cook a couple of minutes, until translucent. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it is translucent. Add wine and cook, stirring until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- Add 1 soup ladle full of chicken broth and the cherry tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until broth has been absorbed and then add another ladle full and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Continue adding additional ladles of broth until broth is used and/or rice is tender (if rice is not tender after all the broth has been used, you can add additional stock or add a bit of water).
- Once rice is cooked, add remaining 1 Tbsp. butter, goat cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and melt cheese. If risotto is too thick, add a bit of water or chicken stock to loosen. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed, to taste.
- Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with a sprig of rosemary.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4