I have to confess. I’m not the biggest taco fan on the block. I don’t dislike them. I just like a lot of other foods a lot more. My family however, are definitely fans. So tacos make the menu once in a while, always of the beef variety. When I stumbled on a chicken taco recipe recently though, I was inspired to bring something different to taco night.
These were a big hit! Tasty and pleasantly spicy and much lighter tasting than their beef cousins. I served them with both soft tortillas and hard taco shells and wide variety of toppings (honestly, I think the toppings are really my favourite part of tacos).
I think part of the reason I don’t like tacos as much is because of how impossible they are to eat and keep them in one piece. Maybe it’s just me and I’m not eating them right :) Nevertheless, I prefer to make mine into a salad (since it’s all going to end up that way anyway when I eat it anyway). I line a plate with shredded lettuce and throw the chicken or beef on top, with crumbled taco shells and assorted toppings and finish off with a big old dollop of sour cream. Works for me.
Either way you like them though, I think you’ll find the chicken version a pleasant and tasty change from the ordinary!
Summary: This can also be made as a chicken taco salad. Simply line a plate with shredded lettuce. Top with chicken mixture, taco shells broken into pieces and the toppings of your choice. This is also a great recipe to use up left-over chicken!
- 1 rotisserie chicken or 3-4 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1-2 tsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup of your favourite salsa
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt or seasoned salt
- Hot sauce (tabasco etc), to taste or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Topping Suggestions:
- Shredded iceburg lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced jalapeno pepper
- Sour cream
- Salsa and/or taco sauce
- Remove the chicken breast meat from the rotisserie chicken (or pre-cook chicken breasts, if using). Break into shreds and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened (about 2-3 minutes). Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Add the tomato sauce, water, salsa and spices. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. (You can add a splash more water if it seems too dry). Add hot sauce or cayenne pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat taco shells per the package directions and prepare the toppings. Fill taco shells or tortillas with hot chicken mixture and top with your favourite toppings.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Adapted from this Tasty Kitchen recipe | Photo