Looking for a little sweet with your coffee? This is a great coffee cake recipe, full of fruit and topped off with a sweet, crunch streusel topping. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert warmed with a little whipped cream or ice cream.
This coffee cake is perfect for the brunch table and the cranberry version is especially nice for Thanksgiving or Christmas entertaining. Can be made ahead, frozen and re-heated easily in the oven before serving.
This coffee cake recipe can also be made with raspberries, blueberries or any other fruit, fresh or frozen. I like it warm with just a little dusted icing sugar on top.
Cranberry Streusel Coffee Cake
A delicious fruit coffee cake, perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert. Can be made with fresh or frozen cranberries or any fresh or frozen fruit.
- For the Streusel:
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen, or other fresh or frozen berries such as raspberries, blueberries etc.)
- For the streusel: In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Blend in the butter until crumbly. Set aside or set in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake: In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture, alternately with the sour cream.
- Spread half the batter in a greased and floured 10-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture, then half the cranberries. Spread with remaining batter. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cranberries, then the remaining streusel.
- Bake in a 350° F. oven about 1 hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the pan to cool completely.
- Serve cool or warm with whipped cream. To reheat cake, wrap in foil and heat about 20 minutes in 350° F. oven.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 60 min | Total time: 1 hour 10 min
Number of servings (yield): 12