I made this dish a while back but never got around to writing about it, but it’s on the menu again for tonight, so I won’t miss sharing it this time!
The suggested presentation of this dish is lovely, with the marinated beef threaded onto rosemary stalks and then grilled. I would highly suggest it if you have the time and patience or if you are entertaining. I was looking to make this dish a little simpler for a quick and easy family dinner, so I like to simply grill the beef on skewers and then tuck a bit of rosemary in afterwards. The flavour of the beef skewers is great (and tender) and the horseradish sauce is terrific.
The last time we made these, I didn’t have a grill pan but I recently picked up one (a cast iron one from Ikea that was inexpensive and a great size). I have a glass-top stove, so it wasn’t easy to find one that was flat on the bottom but this one works perfectly (as long as you don’t drag it around which might scratch the surface). I use it for all kinds of things but especially enjoy making panini sandwiches with it (I bought a cast iron press as well, but you could easily use the bottom of another cast iron frying pan for the same effect).
Anyway, back to these skewers … here is my adaptation of the original recipe.
Beef Skewers with Horseradish Sauce
Summary: This is a quick and easy dinner, especially if you use your BBQ. The horseradish sauce is fabulous! Serve with some corn on the cob for a great summer dinner.
- 2 Sirloin steaks (or beef tenderloin) about 1 1/2 inches thick and cut into 1/8” thin strips, against the grain
- 10 bamboo skewers, soaked for 30 minutes before using
- Fresh rosemary stalks
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pimenton (Spanish paprika)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (35% whipping cream)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (or more to taste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make the marinade by mixing together the mustard, garlic, soy, thyme, pimenton and extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
- Slice the sirloin against the grain into 1/8” thick strips. (Tip: place steak into the freezer to firm up for an hour before slicing, to make it easier to slice it thinly).
- Add steak to large ziploc or plastic bag and pour marinade over. Zip or tie and shake well to cover each piece of meat with the marinade and then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the horseradish sauce, whisk together the creme fraiche (or sour cream), heavy cream, horseradish, and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- With your pre-soaked skewers, roll, fold or weave steak pieces onto the skewers. Try to leave a bit of space between each piece. .
- Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat or pre-heat your BBQ. When very hot, coat with a thin layer of oil to prevent the skewers from sticking. Lay each skewer into the pan or grill, lower the heat a bit, and cook for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the skewers to a cutting board, sprinkle lightly with a finishing salt (such as fleur de sel or Maldon), garnish with fresh rosemary stalks and serve with the horseradish cream.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Adapted from Oui, Chef recipe via Food52 | Photo