Crispy and potatoes is always a winning combination in my book. This dish delivers crispy with just a bit of olive oil and a hot oven though.
If you can’t find fingerling potatoes, small new potatoes will work just as well.
Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
Summary: These are a quick and easy side dish that’s a family favourite.
- 1-1/2 lb. fingerling or small new potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper
- pinch of paprika
- Wash the potatoes and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for about 5-7 minutes, or until tender. (Or if you prefer to boil your potatoes, boil in salted water for about 10 minutes).
- Transfer potatoes to a cutting board and using the bottom of a heavy saucepan (cast iron frypan works great!), gently smash each potato until slightly flattened but not falling apart.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. Drizzle with half the olive oil and sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Sprinkle lightly with a bit of paprika.
- Roast in a 450° oven for 15 minutes. Turn potatoes over and sprinkle with remaining oil, salt, pepper and a pinch of paprika. Bake until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 40 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Adapted from a Canadian Living recipe | Photo