I made this lovely bread yesterday, adapted from a Recipezaar recipe. It was a bit more work shredding and chopping the apple but so worth it. A lovely breakfast bread.
Apple Walnut Cinnamon Bread
Summary: This is a great bread. It’s a bit more work cutting and shredding the apple, but so worth it!
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (*increased from 3/4 tsp. as I felt more salt was needed. I used sea salt though so maybe less works with table salt.)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and the yeast; set aside.
- In a saucepan (or microwave) heat and stir milk, and the 3 tablespoons butter,until warm (110°) and until butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Then beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in shredded apple.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour). Deflate dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease two 8x4x2- or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine chopped apple, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Roll half of the dough to a 14×9-inch rectangle. Spread with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter; sprinkle with half of the filling.Beginning at both short ends, roll each end up, jelly-roll style, to centre.
- Place loaf, rolled side up (seam down), in a prepared loaf pan. For second loaf, repeat with remaining dough, remaining butter, and remaining filling.
- Cover, let rise until almost double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Stir together egg white and water. Brush egg white mixture over tops of loaves; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in a 375° F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap tops (if necessary, loosely cover with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning).
- Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 1