Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the variety of different breads that can be made at home now. It’s easy to forget the basic white bread. I’ve started making this with Robin Hood “Nutri blend” flour lately. It’s the flour that “tastes like white but has the goodness of whole wheat” and it turns out lovely!
Basic White Sandwich Bread
Summary: This is a …
- 6 cups bread flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar (you can reduce, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer) add 5 cups of the flour, the sugar and yeast. Stir to combine. Add the salt and then the water and oil. Mix together, adding as much of the remaining cup of flour as needed for the dough to come together.
- Knead in mixer for 4 minutes or by hand for about 8 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm spot until doubled, about 60-90 minutes.
- Gently deflate dough and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9×5 (or 8×4) inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
- Bake at 3507deg; F. for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 195-200° F.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 2 loaves